Tuesday 24 February 2015

State of the Union Address

I inhabit many worlds. Since I've only got one of me (having failed to twin myself or clone myself), I can only be in one place at a time. So sometimes I must eschew one world for another.

This has been happening a lot lately, so I thought I'd share with you the worlds I inhabit.

Online: I've been a netizen for more than 25 years. That's a long time to have been online. At one point in my life, nearly all my social life, personal achievements and more were located online. There's a couple of times my online life has interfered in my Real Life. About five years ago I took an Internet Fast, where I went dark on the Internet for at least six month, possibly a little longer. No Livejournal, no Facebook, not even email. There are Amish who had a stronger online presence than I had for a while.

Eventually I found my way back. The Internet is too ingrained in 21st Century life for one to completely avoid it. (My mother-in-law tries, but it even seeks her out.)

Still, when push comes to shove, my online life is the first one to get ditched. I have no qualms over ignoring Facebook or Twitter or blogging or even email if RL needs my attention more.

And Real Life consists of...

Family: I am a mother. I take my calling seriously. I have a husband and children. They feature strongly in my 20 Year Plan and my Thousand Year Plan, so ultimately, my focus is on them. If push comes to shove, Family trumps all.

Since nearly all of our blood family lives on the other side of the planet, we've got some adopted family over here. I stick up for them nearly as much as I'd stick up for my own children.

Work: I've got a Daye Jobbe and a Career. If I am contractually obligated to one or the other, I will not let something else get in the way. I take keeping promises seriously. If you ask me to do something during a time when I should be at work or working on a contract, I will say no.

Religion: My faith defines who I am and why I make the choices I do. It helps form my brand and guides various choices in my life. My religion supports my 5 Year Plan, my 20 Year Plan, and my Thousand Year Plan. It has no opinion one way or the other regarding my 50 year plan.

Everything else fits into my life when I have time or space. If I don't, then it doesn't. Please don't be terribly offended. I respect my priorities.


So yeah. I've been really busy. I can't say I've dropped too many balls, but have gently put them aside. Some I may never pick up again.

__________________________
Her Grace realises that life's too short to:

  • watch dull reruns
  • read boring books
  • watch bad movies
  • listen to stupid people
  • not work towards a Plan
  • eat junk food

No comments: