Friday 13 February 2015

Interview: Debbie Peterson

Shahar hanging out with Debbie
Today I interview fellow Wild Rose Press author Debbie Peterson, author of Spirit of the Knight and other fun books.

Officially, her bio says:

Debbie has always had a soft spot for fairy tales, the joy of falling in love, and happily ever after endings. Stories of love and make believe has filled her head for as long as she can remember. However, it was her beloved husband who encouraged, cajoled and inspired her to take up a pen and write some of them down. Her journey to published author could fill quite a few pages. However, in June of 2010, she submitted her debut novel “Spirit of the Rebellion” to The Wild Rose Press. Inkspell Publishing, published her second novel, “Shadow of the Witte Wieven,” and the rest is history.

When she is not busy conjuring her latest novel, Debbie spends time with the members of her beloved family. She also pursues her interests in teaching classes on and searching out her family history—and somewhere in there, makes time to study mythology, as well as all things ancient and historic.

So yeah. We have a few things in common. Of course, I had to interview her:

DKP: Hello Heidi! What fun it is for me to be here with you today, so thanks for the invitation!

HWK: I enjoyed reading SPIRIT OF THE KNIGHT and I especially loved your take on ghosts. Sir Cailen and his knights weren’t exactly the “dead and passed over” kind of traditional ghosts. What inspired their stuck-in-limbo-ness?

DKP: First of all, let me say that I’m so happy you enjoyed the book. I had a lot of fun writing it. So, what inspired Sir Cailen and his knights’ unconventional state of being? I suppose I should begin by telling you that I’ve chosen to write paranormal/fantasy romance because I love making an impossible love, quite possible after all.

HWK: Ah, a woman after my own heart.

DKP: And therefore...

Sir Cailen began as a minor character in my novel, Spirit of the Revolution and as I wrote the chapter in which he appeared, his story began to evolve in my mind. I saw him as living under a curse that he had no knowledge of. I realized at that point, that I needed to tell his story in complete detail.

HWK: You and I share a love for family history. What draws you to family history?

DKP: My ancestors are more than just names and dates to me. They are real people who lived real lives, experienced real joys and real sorrows.  I suppose the writer in me has an unquenchable thirst to know those stories, to know of their hardships as well as their triumphs.

HWK: Any fun tales of your ancestors you’d like to share?

DKP: Fun tales? Now that’s a loaded question! I have so many I could share.  But maybe I’ll just leave you with a small glimpse of one of my favourites. My great-grandmother appeared to my great-grandfather shortly after she passed away with a specific message that had everything to do with the love they had for each other. Perhaps this story is part of the reason I so enjoy writing tales of ghostly romance....   

HWK: Which of your books is your favourite and why?

DKP: Odd though it may seem, I really don’t have a favourite. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing each of my novels and have come to love each of my characters. They are each very special to me in their own way and for a variety of reasons.

HWK: Your favourite food in the Whole Wide World has been banned by law! What do you do?

DKP: Bootlegging immediately comes to mind.  I mean if it worked during prohibition, I’m sure it would work just as well for me!

HWK: You are given a million dollars with the caveat that you cannot spend any of it on yourself or anyone you know personally. What would you do with it?

DKP: Oh, wow...so many places, so many things to choose from. If it had to go to one place I would probably donate it to the Wounded Warrior project. I have a deep love and respect for those in the military who are so willing to give their lives so that I can enjoy the freedoms I have. As the popular and often quoted Facebook post says: Heroes don’t wear capes, they wear dog tags.

HWK: Preach it! If you could convince the world of ANYTHING, what would it be?

DKP: I think it would be that we have the inherent ability to love each other—that we have the power to eradicate the hate that’s so prevalent in the world today. After all if they can do it -- http://www.pawmygosh.com/friends-furever/ -- so can we! (Do I sound like I’m on a soap box?)



HWK: We all need to stand on soap boxes. Thanks for hanging out with me today.


______________________
Sir Cailen's a handsome fellow.
Here's the official blurb for Spirit of the Knight:

She fell deeply in love with him in the early days of her childhood. And in return, she captured his heart the moment he first cast his gaze upon her...

Renowned artist, Mariah Jennings hired to paint a thirteenth-century Scottish castle, gets the shock of her life when she encounters the handsome knight who has dominated a lifetime of portraits and sketchbooks.

But Sir Cailen Braithnoch is no ordinary ghost, nor did he suffer an ordinary death. Magic of the blackest kind cast a pall over the knights centuries ago. As the ghost and his lady seek to unravel the paradox surrounding his death, black arts, otherworldly forces, and a jealous rival conspire against them.

Will those forces tear them apart, or is their love destined to last throughout the ages?

Be like Her Grace and buy Spirit of the Knight:


Hang out with Debbie:

Twitter: @DebbiePeterson1 
Goodreads: Debbie Peterson 
Facebook: Debbie Peterson


1 comment:

Debbie Peterson said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely blog with me today Heidi! It is indeed a pleasure!