Friday 21 November 2014

Create an Artistic Life - Part 1 - Financial Independence

After Wednesday's post, I realised I wasn't finished saying everything I needed to say. I've gotta lot to say, in hopes that my words will make someone else's life better.

Over the past couple of years I've been putting in some serious thought regarding my writing career.

I want to be a full-time career author.

I work the day job (same place for nearly fifteen years), but dream of the Career. (Doesn't every Artist?)  Wouldn't it be nice not to have to work a day job and to be able to focus solely on my writing?



I owe some thanks to a cousin who's smarter than me, who pointed me in a direction I wish I had known about twenty years ago. If I knew then what I know now, I very likely would have been financially independent today, free from a day job, and indulging full-time in my writing career.

Want to free yourself from a full-time job so you can pursue your art more? Want to give up the day job entirely? Become financially independent.

Financial independence is the key. The reason we get jobs that have nothing to do with our chosen careers is because--let's face it, honey--we gotta eat. Unless you enjoy being a GOSH1, living in your parents' basement and under their rules, a job is a necessary Adult thing. You've gotta admit, money's nice. Working for the money, maybe not so much. But if you had your money working for you, that'd be so much sweeter.

So, I would like you to meet MR MONEY MUSTACHE. He's a financially independent badass who freed himself early from the Rat Race so he could pursue what he truly loved.

Admit it; that's your dream as well.

If you want to be free to pursue your art, go read his blog from the very beginning and put his principles to work. You don't have to completely adhere to every single thing he does, but he will put your feet on the path of financial independence.

Stop being financially foolish!

I wish Personal Finance & Investing 101 was a primary requisite for anyone pursuing any Arts degree. We'd have a far fewer financially frustrated artists/musicians/writers. Far too many of us artistic types aren't wise when it comes to money, saving and investing when we need to be, especially if we want the independence to be able to pursue our art without starving.

For the Aspiring Artist who's at the beginning of their life, I recommend this simple plan:

  1. Get a job. At this point, it doesn't matter too much what it is, because you're not going to be there forever (see this illo to keep you motivated).
  2. Keep your spending needs to a minimum and invest every spare cent you can.
  3. When your investments are returning enough income to meet your spending needs, quit the day job forever and indulge in your art.
  4. Do not dabble. you are not a dilettante. Treat your artistic career professionally. Otherwise, you might as well stay in the Rat Race and keep your art as an occasional hobby.

I might be entering the game twenty years later than I should be, but at least I'm getting into the game.

________________________
Her Grace has a plan. She shares this with you so you can also have a plan.

1Grown Offspring Still Home.

No comments: