Friday 6 July 2018

Invisible sounds

Normally one doesn't pay attention to the little sounds around you until you're working with audio files. Then every little invisible sound comes to the fore.

This week I've been recording an audio book. During that time, my cool studio condenser mic has picked up:


  • neighbours' dogs barking
  • helicopter
  • my cat looking for me
  • neighbours' cars
  • kids playing outside
  • the TARDIS
  • hot water heater kicking in
  • neighbour's doorbell
  • rainstorm
  • thunder
  • my growly tummy
  • carbonation bubbles from the soft drink next to me
  • ambulance siren
  • basketball bouncing from FIVE HOUSES AWAY
  • hot water heater kicking in when the husband took a shower (but not the sound of the shower itself)



The list is extremely impressive. Most of the time I don't even notice those sounds (except the cat). And this is considered a "quiet" house. Looks like I've got some editing to do when I'm done laying down track.

_______________________
Her Grace was a sound engineer in a previous life/degree. If only she had today's tools back then, mixing would have been much easier.

No comments: