Wednesday 7 May 2014

Randomosity for Birthday Month

Randomosity of cool stuff I found about the web.


Her advice is worth listening to. One morning she woke up to herself, realised she had put herself in a bad place financially, and chose to do something about it.  Good on you, Anna! I'm impressed.

  • Despite its dated corniness, I've always enjoyed Disney's Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I'd love to get my hands on the remastered version, that had a lot of cut footage restored/remastered/redone. Alas, there are a few scenes where footage could not be located (possibly destroyed?).   I would have loved to see the whole three hours of this flick.  Factlet: George Lucas worked on the screenplay for this one.

  • "I am a Child of God" - this hymn has a positive self-image message for humans.  My many-great Aunt Mildred Tanner Pettit wrote the original music for this.


  • Recipe for Angel Food Cake - from Scratch.  If you live in the US, no doubt you have ready access to packet Angel Food Cake mix.  Not so in Australia. Therefore, if I am to enjoy my traditional birthday cake, I must make it from scratch.
Angel Food Cake

Preheat oven to 375ºF (200ºC).

Sift together:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/cup cornstarch flour
Set aside.

Beat until stiff peaks form:
1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 9-12 eggs)
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Gently fold in flour mixture into beaten egg whites.  Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan (you can use a bundt pan if you must). An angel food cake pan looks like this:

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until top is golden brown and crusty.  There may be some cracks.

Invert pan to cool.  Loosen from pan when cools, and serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.  Sing "Happy Birthday" to me while you eat it.

_________________________________
Her Grace has several particular things about her birthday. 1. She's always shared the day with other family members. 2. She's always had Angel Food Cake. 3. Presents are nice, but optional. Having fun with her is far more important than being given things. However, if you must give, consumables, like paper and fancy food items are preferred.

No comments: