To classify as a Good Book to me, I look for the following:
- Satisfying storyline. It doesn't have to be an HEA, but it must satisfy in some way. This also includes:
- A resolved plot. Nothing annoys me more than an unresolved plot. Hate it when I don't know how the story ends. Actually, I can't think of anyone who does. For me, this also includes those ambiguous endings where it's up to the reader to come to their own conclusions.
- Good pace. Too slow, and you'll lose me. Too fast and the book will feel like it's over way too soon.
- At least one likeable main character. If I don't like any of the main characters, I'm not going to be interested in their stories. I want at least one character to root for.
- Does not contain the Verboten Topics. There are some things about which I simply refuse to read. Everyone's list is different, but mine includes things such as child abuse, Very Unhappy Endings, and a few other topics.
Question: What qualifies a book as Good to you?
Her Grace is under no obligation to finish a book that is not working for her.