I can't get enough of Financial Independence advocate Mr Money Mustache. His mantra is "Financial Freedom Through Badassity."
Darn tootin'! My cousin put me onto him, and I haven't looked back. I proudly declare myself a Mustachian. Please go read him. He will change your life.
If you have anything to do with money (and what human doesn't)? You really need to read him.
Essentially, his message is that we are cleverer than we realise, and through a simple plan of simplification (some would call it "frugality", but I don't know if that's the best term for it), you spend less than what comes in, save'n'invest your surplus so that in the end, instead of you working for your money, your money works for you. Also, with your attitude adjustment, you will find the happiness you were trying to buy with money.
He's not some accountant or financial guru. He's just some Canadian living in Colorado who once had a regular job AND RETIRED AT AGE 30.
After reading his blog, (I went hard core from the beginning) I see this as entirely doable. I've already put some of his ideas into place and I'm doing so much better for it.
His platform is thus:
- We spend too much money on things we shouldn't. "Your current middle-class life is an Exploding Volcano of Wastefulness," says MMM.
- We're far too consumerist as a society. And the worst thing is, many of us think that that is how it's supposed to be.
- You don't have to "deny" yourself everything. Just be wiser in how you spend your money. Depriviation is NOT his message. (Frex: do you really need a double-soy latte from Starbucks every single day, when you could make your own at home for less than half the price?)
- Investments are simple and any Joe can do it. (He loves Vanguard.)
- Don't be a complainypants. That doesn't solve your problem. Proactivity is your friend.
- DIY's not that hard. Not only does it save you money, but increases your useful skill set and your self-esteem.
- Debt sucks your life as well as your money. How many of us are in a Debt Emergency? If you have debt, it's an emergency.
- Know what has true value in your life, and what adds true value. MMM lives a rather luxurious lifestyle by cutting out the junk and embracing what's truly valuable. This guy eats organic every day! His exercise plan keeps him in top shape without costing him a cent. He lives in the kind of efficient and comfortable house most people dream of. And it's all paid off.
Go Read Him Now!
Her Grace is already on her way to her own Financial Independence, even with her small salary.