Friday 21 March 2014

My First Novel: "The Atomic Girl"


 Every author has a novel that never sees the light of day--either it's too terrible to show, or it simply doesn't "take".

My first novel was definitely in the first category.  Can you blame me?  I was only ten years old.

It was a MG Science Fantasy.  I was a voracious reader.  Perhaps I read too much, because I ended up with a story of my own inside me that just Had To Get Out.  But that's a first novel for you.  Everyone who writes a first novel does so because it Has To Get Out.

Here's mine:

Ten-year-old Katie never fit in at school. After a particularly bad day, she runs away, only to find herself caught up in a nuclear accident.  When she wakes up, she discovers she's got powers. Cool powers.

But her new-found telekinetic abilities do not endear her to her fellow students. The bullying doesn't stop. It simply changes its nature, fueled by a new reaction--fear.

For the first time in her life, adults are taking notice, but not in a good way. Katie's drawn the disapproving attention of teachers, the students' parents and some scary-looking outsiders in suits, who don't tell her who they are.

Except for one. "My name is Marianne," she says. "We need to talk."

Katie's never had an ally before--certainly never a friend.  Is Marianne the one person who's on her side, or is there something far more sinister going on?

Over the next few years, I rewrote it several times. Eventually, I got it all out of me and could safely abandon it to the trunk.

This novel will probably never see the light of day, but it served its purpose--to get the story out of me. If I ever do choose to give it a chance, it will need some serious overhaul. Really serious overhaul.

After I finished "The Atomic Girl", I went on to write another novel, as you do.

_____________________________
Her Grace has known for a Very Long Time that she is a novelist.  Before writing her first novel, she had penned several short stories and poems, to local acclaim. But there's something about novels that sings to her heart.

No comments: