Monday 14 March 2016

Days I Celebrate in March (TASE Day)

We need a TASE Day. I celebrate TASE Day whenever I want.

March 1 - First day of Australian Autumn.  Yes, Australians celebrate the beginning of their seasons at the beginning of the month and not on the solstice/equinox. This is because we tend to follow what actually happens in the weather, as opposed to what happens in the sky. We tend to follow how the Aboriginal people mark the weather.

Up north in the tropics, they only have two seasons: Wet and Dry. Much of the country celebrates the usual four seasons. Here in Western Australia, many of us observe the six seasons of the Nyoongar people. Today is looking to be a right old scorcher, typical of Bunuru.

March 14 - Pi Day. Yes, I make pie and we eat it.  Last year we were invited to a Pi Day party. I made an Edgar Allen Pie.  Okay, so I didn't have raven. I went with dark turkey instead, and purple carrots to make it go all sorts of nice black. It was a total hit. This year, I coincidentally have turkey in my fridge, so I'll make Edgar Allen Pie again this year.

March 15 - Ides of March.  Yeah, I'm a casual fan of Shakespeare. So much of our vocabulary and modern literature owe him much. editminion.com has a Shakespeare option you can turn on during analysis.

March 17 - Happy Birthday Relief Society.  On this day this year the Relief Society is 174 years old. We're having a birthday party and a service auction (people donate acts of service and people get to 'bid' on them with points they won through games we play at the party.) Next year looks to be like a really big year for celebrations. I'm hoping we do something spectacular. Possibly get together with other Relief Societies in the area and do a really big bash.

March 17 - St Patrick's Day?  If you want to celebrate by drinking beer and wearing green, go right ahead. I won't, because I don't have a single drop of Irish blood in me.

March 19 - Vernal Equinox - First Day of Spring for the Northern Hemisphere. I observe this more as an astronomical interest instead of a weather interest.  Also, the pre-dawn morning sky has been most interesting with Jupiter setting, Mars riding high and Venus shining brightly. It's a shame I have no desire to drag my telescope out that early most mornings. Maybe I will tomorrow simply because I Can.

25-27 March - Easter. I love Easter from Cadbury Creme Eggs to the celebration of the Atonement of Christ. I also like getting time off from work and school. This release from secular life allows me to focus on the reasons I have a Thousand Year Plan. (I also take the time to work on the Fifty Year Plan and to spend time with family and friends.)

No comments: