Monday 14 April 2014

Library Love!!

If you love books, chances are you love a library.

I was only three years old when I got my first library card.  I belonged to the Sprague Branch, a beautiful old library in a neighborhood called Sugar House. Isn't it lovely?
From Commons.Wikimedia.org.  LarryChristensen agrees with me; it's a pretty library.
So with such an evocative library, how could I not fall in love?  (I must go back some day, just so I can tell it how much I love it.)

Since then, I've belonged to a library, no matter where in the world I've lived. I've even worked at a few.

I love having books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books and books...
...all within my grasp.  I can read until I'm sick of words. I can indulge my literary habit. I can research.  I can explore, gain knowledge, become something more than I was yesterday.

Books were my best friends growing up. A library was my retreat. Nobody bothered you in a library.

They're building a new library near where I live.  It looks nothing like the Sprague branch, but I still feel the same thrill.  I drive by it regularly and tell it hello. I've taken a few shots of it under construction. I already know some of the library staff and they share my enthusiasm. I can't wait for the new library to open!

I shall go there regularly to read, to browse, to schmooze, to write. (Wonder if we can get some NaNoWriMo action going, or maybe the occasional Author in Residence? I volunteer!)

Do you have a library you love?  What makes it so lovable? Tell me about it.

_____________________
Her Grace shall always have a soft spot in her heart for a library. Despite the invention of the Internet and eBooks, there will always be a place for Libraries in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't use libraries. I possess. To borrow and have to give it back would be like having a baby and giving it up for adoption.

Poor Zara Penney

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

Zara, I wonder if ebook loans from libraries would be a boon for you, or the ultimate betrayal, with their automatic check-ins?