Friday 7 February 2014

TBR Pile

... or rather, the Have Been Read pile, as this is the stuff I've devoured over the past fortnight.

  • Battle of the Network Zombies by Mark Henry - urban fantasy.  Picked up for something other than what I usually read.  I fear it may date.
  • Eglantine by Catherine Jinks - contemporary YA fantasy.  I've liked Catherine Jinks' books before, but this felt a little obvious for me.  The mother was one of those characters, but the father-figure was a bit more cluey, and made up for her.  Really, I don't mind if kids solve the mystery, but you'd think adults wouldn't be so dense.
  • Family on the Run by Margaret Watson - contemporary thriller romance.  I confess I'm not much into contemporary romance, but thought I'd give this a shot.  I found myself skipping the sex bits and getting to the thriller bits. I did have issues with one of the characters Paolo being too shallow. He was more of a prop than a character. Shame. He had so much potential for racheting up the tension.
  • Ghost Stories Shade Shorts 2.0 by Gillian Phillips - horror short stories.  I picked this up more for Second Ladyship, who hates horror on TV but loves it in fiction.  She quite enjoyed it.
  • My Roomate's a Jock? Well Crap! by Wade Kelly - NA romance.  I picked this up expecting it to be a New Adult Buddy Book.  Turns out to be gay romance.  Excellent writing, though I thought the plot could have been a little stronger, with more internal angst and less external grief.
  • The Broken Bell by Frank Tuttle - fantasy.  Quite enjoyed this one because of the voice and Otherworldliness.  Not a single scrap of contemporary about it a bit.  Nice plot twists.
  • The Fortune-Hunters by Carola Dunn - regency romance.  Interesting twist on fortune-hunting.  In Bath.
  • Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot - regency romance.  Love Meg Cabot's lighthearted style.  Enjoyed V&thR, though if I'd ever met Victoria in real life, she'd be one of those bitches I'd like to slap.  Unless she was my best friend. 
  • Fiddlehead by Cherie Priest - steampunk.  I confess, I'm still reading this one.  More on this later, because it's worth reviewing well.
________________
When not reading books, Her Grace has recently discovered Twitter.  Tweet her @heidikneale

No comments: