Wednesday 25 September 2013

What Her Grace is Reading This Week

These are the books whose pages my eyes are grazing.

Soulless by Gail Carriger.  I already own Changeless (which I completely forgot to get signed at WorldCon a few years ago), and thought I'd read the rest of the Parasol Protectorate series.  Gail Carriger  does an excellent job of blending the best of early 21st century genre fiction elements into a delightful story.

Eats, Shoots, Leaves by Lynne Truss. Nabbed this from the shelves as a refresher on grammatical elements of punctuation.  Part of the necessary reading for an MFA.

First Things First by Stephen Covey.  A re-read, actually, to remind me how to order the things that are important.

Doctrine and Covenants.  Having just finished the New Testament, I thought I'd move on to this. This is going to take me a very long time.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.  Another recommended MFA read. I confess I don't read much literary stuff, but I thought I'd give this a go. Not reading it for entertainment value (literary does not "entertain") but to see one way the English language could be be used.  Sometimes one can forget there are many way to use the English language.  Some can be starkly beautiful.

Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton.  After mentioning this to Charlie Finlay last week, I thought I'd re-read this.  It never loses its charm and appeal.
_______________________
Her Grace is currently upping her reading levels as a necessary part of the craft. You can find a complete list of her TBR pile, including past reads here.  Her Grace is also pursuing an MFA from the prestigious SoHK.

No comments: