Friday 6 February 2015

Interview: Abigail Owen

Today I welcome Fantasy Romance author Abigail Owen to the blog.
Getting smooched.

Her official bio says:
Award-winning author, Abigail Owen was born in Greeley, Colorado, and raised in Austin, Texas. She now resides in Northern California with her husband and two adorable children who are the center of her universe.
Abigail grew up consuming books and exploring the world through her writing. A fourth generation graduate of Texas A&M University, she attempted to find a practical career related to her favorite pastime by earning a degree in English Rhetoric (Technical Writing). However, she swiftly discovered that writing without imagination is not nearly as fun as writing with it.

A fourth-generation uni grad?  That's totally cool!

Today we have a chat about her first novel Blue Violet, and have a look at an upcoming project, Andromeda's Fall.

1. HWK: You've written double-handful of novels. Of all your books, which one is your favourite? What do you love about it?

AO: Oooh. Tough question! I’d have to say Blue Violet because that was the first book I finished. I’d started probably 15 or 20, but didn’t ever write “The End” until that one. The heroine in that one is also probably has the most of me in her that I’ve put into any of my heroines. However, I’ve learned so much since writing the others, and am still learning every day. I often wonder if Blue Violet would turn out differently were I to write it now.

2. HWK I'm a sucker for gypsies and for violets. Of course I had to read Blue Violet from your Svatura series. One concept I enjoyed was the idea of the te'sorthene, a connection similar to soulmates. Sounds like, as the Darane Svatura people are few and far between, not every person gets to find their te'sorthene. How important is the finding of one's te'sorthene, and what are the implications for each other's powers? After all, the Vyusher are out there...

AO: Thanks so much for reading! I love the soul-mate concept in paranormal romances because you can make it a mystical, powerful thing with more “proof” than the concept has in a contemporary romance. In the Svatura series it’s implied that not every person finds a te’sorthene. Then again, Svatura live for 1000 years, so they have a long time to search. As you move through the series, you’ll find that there are more out there than Ellie and Griffin thought as well.

3. HWK: Speaking of pretty blooms, other than a rose, what is your favourite flower?

Hydrangeas. A little bouquet all their own.
AO: Another hard one. Gut reaction is Hydrangea. I had them in my wedding bouquet. When we moved to California, one of my favorite things about the state was how everything here blooms. There are flowers somewhere almost year round. I love the fruitless plum trees with their pale pink flowers that change to dark purple leaves. Then I started naming books after flowers, and found I really enjoy the exotic looking ones. I keep a pinterest board for the ones that catch my eye: http://www.pinterest.com/abbyowen/flowers-for-titles/

4. HWK: What is the most important thing you've learned as an author?

AO: To write what I’m most interested in reading. You constantly see calls for books on specific topics like Christmas, or ghosts, no paranormal now only contemporary, and so forth. I’m a fast writer. I could try to keep up with the trends. But I tried starting a few books to fit one of those molds, and they always changed into what I really wanted to be writing. My ghost story turned into a cowboy contemporary for example. So now I stick to what I care about. I think my books are stronger, better reads when I do.

5. HWK: If you were restricted to wear only one colour for the rest of your life, what would it be? What colour would you wear to rebel?

AO: Black. Just about everything I wear is black anyway. :) Not a fun answer, I just think most things in black look good on. Now, if were to rebel it would be jewel colors – bright reds and greens and blues and purples. I love vibrant colors.

6. HWK: Preach it! If you could convince the world of one thing, what would it be?

AO: Elvis is still the King! Oh yes, I said it. I could have gone more serious with this one. As a mother there are so many things I want for my children – compassion, strength of character, peace, tolerance, happiness. Too many things to pick just one. So in honor of his birthday month, Elvis is what I would preach. Wonderful music, great dance moves, undeniable heart throb – he brought and still brings happiness to millions.

HWK: My maternal grandmother was a big Elvis fan. I inherited part of her Elvis collection.
_____________________
Abigail's latest project is Andromeda's Fall, Book 1 in the Shadowcat Nation series.

Blurby goodness:

Andromeda Reynolds is being hunted. After witnessing her mother’s violent death at the hands of a pack of wolf shifters, Andie has devoted her life to protecting her community of cougar shifters from a similar fate. But now, a greater threat lies within her own dare, and she must run. If she stays, Kyle Carstairs will force their mating, seeking the added political power their union would provide.
Andie would rather chew off her own foot than end up with Kyle. Though, knowing him, she won’t live long either way. Andie’s only hope of survival is to mate Jaxon Keller, the Alpha of the Keller Dare with which she is seeking asylum. But before she can get to him, Andie must first go through A.J., one of the Alpha’s Protectors.

What Andie doesn’t realize is that A.J. has secrets of his own. All Andie knows is that the incredibly frustrating shifter insists on challenging her story, her skills, her trust… and her heart.

Go buy! Available where all good books are sold:

Amazon - Amazon UK - Amazon CA - Amazon AU - B&N - Apple - Kobo - Print

What?  Still not sure? Here's an excerpt:

    Neither of them said a word once the Healer was finished. Andie followed A.J. down another series of hallways, through a few comfy common areas with couches, TVs and kitchenettes, and finally to a wing that looked mostly like living quarters. Andie would bet a lot of money that the compound was intentionally designed to bring the members of this dare together more often, to force them to interact with one another whether they wanted to or not.
    As mountain lion shifters, they all tended to be loners, part of the nature of the beast inside them. The wild cats were elusive and highly territorial. Circumstance had forced them to form dares, making up the Shadowcat Nation. And now they had to learn to coexist…to get along, despite their natural instincts to live a solitary life.
    A.J. eventually stopped at a nondescript door and knocked. After a small pause, it was opened by a petite redhead whose eyes opened wide when she saw who was standing there. Andie kept her own shock of recognition successfully hidden. She sent the girl a surreptitiously pleading look, hoping she’d get the hint to keep quiet.
    “Hannah, this is Andromeda Reynolds,” A.J. said. “She’s asked for asylum and needs a place to stay while I prepare her to meet the Alpha. Can she bunk with you for a bit?”
    Andie narrowed her eyes at A.J, but she quickly moved her focus back to a confused Hannah.
    Hannah finally nodded. “Of course. Come on in…err…Andromeda.”
    “Andie, please.” She gave A.J. one final enquiring glance as she stepped into the room.
    “I’ll be by first thing in the morning,” he told her. “We’ll start then.”
    “Start what?”
    But all she got in reply was an enigmatic smile. A.J. turned and strolled down the hall, whistling a little tune.
    Andie glanced at Hannah, who just shrugged and closed the door.
    They looked at each other for a moment in total silence. Hannah held up a single finger as she listened at the door. Finally, she turned to Andie, grabbed her and pulled her in for a tight hug.     Leaning back, she said, “Andromeda Jaci Reynolds. What. The. Hell?”

1 comment:

Abigail Owen said...

Thank you so much for hosting me! I really enjoyed those questions. :)